1 Portfolio point = 3/4 cup (125 g) soft or silken tofu, 2/3 cup (125 g) medium-firm tofu, or 1/2 cup (85 g) extra firm tofu
What is on this page?
What is tofu?
Tofu is made from soybeans and is a source of soy protein, which helps to lower LDL cholesterol (“bad” cholesterol). It is a high-quality (complete) protein that can replace meat. Tofu is easy to find and can be used in many ways.
The firmness of tofu depends on the amount of water that has been removed from the soybean curds. The more water pressed out, the firmer the tofu is. There are different types of tofu: soft or silken tofu, medium-firm tofu, and extra-firm tofu. Soft or silken tofu has a custard-like feel. Medium-firm tofu is denser than soft/silken tofu but is still delicate. Extra-firm tofu has the least amount of water and can hold its own shape.
Buying and Storing Tofu
- Tofu can be found in either packages or in tubs filled with water. They can be found in grocery stores in the refrigerated produce section or natural food section.
- Store tofu in the refrigerator.
- Cover leftover packaged tofu in an airtight container with cold water and change daily to keep it fresh.
- For tofu bought in tubs, replace the water daily to keep it fresh.
- Medium and extra firm tofu can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Soft or silken tofu cannot be frozen.
Preparing and Cooking Tofu
- Medium or extra firm tofu cannot be eaten uncooked. Uncooked silken tofu can be eaten right away or refrigerated.
- Rinse tofu gently before using it and pat it dry with a paper towel.
- Silken tofu can be blended into shakes, smoothies, cookie or cake batters, dips, and dressings, or topped with fruit as a dessert.
- Medium firm tofu can be mashed or crumbled into casseroles, pasta dishes, and soups.
- Extra firm tofu can be marinated and grilled for burgers and sandwiches, grilled and eaten on its own, or cubed for stir-fry dishes.
Tofu Recipe Ideas
- Tofu scramble
- Miso soup
- Ginger Tofu
- Fru-Foo Fondue
- Silken tofu fruit salad
- Tofu vegetable stir-fry
- Egg tofu salad sandwich
- Silken tofu fruit smoothie
- Tofu barley salad
- Tangy lemon tart
To view Portfolio recipes with tofu, click here.