What is on this page?
- About Viscous Fibre
- How to Add Viscous Fibre to Your Diet
- Viscous Fibre & Portfolio Diet Points
- Important Notes
About Viscous Fibre
Viscous fibre reduces LDL-cholesterol and helps to maintain a healthy digestive system. It is a sticky fibre that forms a gel with food in your stomach. This gel helps slow down the movement of food through your digestive system making you feel fuller for longer.
How to Add Viscous Fibre to Your Diet
- Adding viscous fibre to your diet can be quick and simple!
- Consuming psyllium husk is the easiest way to add viscous fibre to your diet!
- Top your salad with All Bran Buds
- Choose oat bran bread instead of white or whole wheat bread
- Keep a batch of cooked barley on hand
- Include fruits and vegetables high in viscous fibre every day
Viscous Fibre & Portfolio Diet Points
- Aim for 5 points of viscous fibre each day.
- 1 point can be:
- Dietary fibre on the food label includes ALL fibres, viscous fibre is only a part of the total fibre.
- You can experience gas or bloating from introducing fibre into your diet see the Managing Gas and Bloating Tip Sheet.